Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Often Go Walking by Phyllis Luch

I Often Go Walking

I often go walking in meadows of clover,
And I gather armfuls of blossoms of blue.
I gather the blossoms the whole meadow over,
Dear Mother, all flowers remind me of you.

Oh Mother, I give you my love with each flower
To give forth sweet fragrance a whole lifetime through
For if I love blossoms and meadows and walking,
I learn how to love them, dear Mother, from you.
--Phyllis Luch


This is the quintessential Mother's Day song for me. I know there are others, but this is definitely the best. I had been helping out in Primary, filling in for the chorister a few weeks ago, and taught the kids this song -- it was really cool because I knew that they'd be singing it for my first Mothers Day as a real MOM! I was scheduled to fill in again two weeks ago, but Elizabeth and I had a BAD night at the height of her nursing strike, and we couldn't even make it through Sacrament Meeting. I asked Peter if he would sub for me subbing for Rachel and he bravely said yes. When I asked him how it went, he said it was fine, except that he had never heard the second verse of that song before, and got all choked up trying to lead the kids in singing it. I said, "Yes, It's definitely a song that's designed to make people cry."

A few random bits of vaguely Mother's Day related news:
  • Heather's baby Anna is home from the hospital and can now breathe and eat on her own. Hooray for modern medicine giving her the few extra days she needed, and hoorayer for Heather for making it through this trying time.

  • My Aunt Dalita just had a baby too! That makes FIFTY grandchildren on my Dad's side. I know that there had been a lot of pressure to bring it to a nice round number, but because all Tim's older siblings quit having kids years ago, it mostly landed on him (and Dalita of course). Their last child was born in 2004, so most people had given up hope. I started hearing rumors a few months ago, but considering the source was somebody who's mostly deaf and has a bad memory, I wasn't sure I could believe them. This latest baby (as yet nameless) is Tim and Dalita's NINTH! Way to go above and beyond the call of duty there!

  • We went to see Ironman Saturday night as a kind of pre-Mother's Day couples night out. It was our first real date since the Baby was born. We hired a babysitter and went with another couple in the ward -- Peter actually suggested the whole thing. I could really care less about seeing the movie from the previews, but I figured that if Peter wanted to go, and wanted to spend time with friends, that I could sit through something that might be vaguely stupid. Well, it wasn't vaguely stupid. It was really pretty cool. I knew just about nothing about the Ironman story going in to it, but the movie's plot and character motivations actually made sense (if you could forgive some magical technology -- and if you can't, then why are you at a comic book movie in the first place). Then there were the explosions. They were big. I do love a good blowing-things-up movie.

  • Elizabeth has a new trick -- I call it proto-sitting. She doesn't have the balance to sit up by herself yet, but she's gotten to the point where she can make a kind of tripod by putting her hands down between her legs and she can hold herself up like that for a few minutes. I tried to get her to do this a week or so ago (I had seen a picture in one of my baby care books), and she couldn't do it. But now she figured it out on her own! She's also getting a lot closer to crawling -- she can scootch along a little on her belly, and is pretty good at holding her head and chest up in that position. There's still too much friction between her belly and the floor for her to get anywhere significant though. She has also started drooling profusely, which is new for her. Her shirts end up being constantly damp around the neck.
Well, that's all the news for today. Have a good Mother's Day everybody!

9 comments:

  1. i would hope that our primary children would sing that song today but i rather doubt they will. But I love that song, too.

    Oh, and I went to see IRONMAN just to be able to spend some time with my sister while she was here and her son wanted to see it. Wow! I loved it...which is really weird cuz I'm not much of a comic book person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always kind of wondered about that song. I've never seen blue clover.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very cute pictures. thanks,
    lesli

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Randy. Happy Mother's day. Our regular E-mail isn't working right now. Your beautiful song is what the primary kids sang in Lorain Ward today. It is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Elizabeth was fussing, and I hadn't read the program correctly, and the sound was off in the Mother's room, so I missed the singing, which made me sad.

    I always assumed that the blue flowers were growing alongside thye clover -- though there's not a lot of really blue wildflowers either, so I assume that by blue they mean purple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyle and I went back to our old ward (we just moved the day before) to sing a medley of that song and "Mother, I Love You" that was really gorgeous. The second verse always chokes me up--especially with our mom. (Right, Peter?)

    Happy first Mother's Day!! How exciting that she is getting closer to sitting and crawling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a great number of blue wild flowers here in the fields of Texas--they are the state flower, the Bluebonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for husbands who are not afraid to sub for their wives subbing for someone else. :-) And isn't it great that Peter is sappy enough that a primary song could make him tear up? (He takes after someone I know very well whose inititals are Jim Ahlstrom.)

    How did you do with leaving Elizabeth with a sitter for the first time?

    She's growing up!

    Love, Kathey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phyllis wrote of this song: "People assume upon hearing the words to “I Often Go Walking” that I had the so-called Wonderful Mother."In fact, Phyllis'mother was plagued by a mental disorder and life at home was quite dysfunctional. She desribes her mother as "...a shattered and unknowable non-personality; lost in a world of demons and tormentors." However, when out in nature her mother could be relaxed showing a keen love of flowers. It always impressed Phyllis that her mother could name many of those flowers. The love Phyllis had for her mother as well as her own desire to always seek for all things beautiful was no doubt released upon Phyllis' first hearing of the lovely melody her friend Jeanne Lawler was in search of lyrics to. I am touched that you have written of the feelings you receive from this song. I hope this background will enrich your testimony of the power of love that Christ offers to all to see beyond the pain and fragility of this world. Such was Phyllis' testimony.

    ReplyDelete